Monday, February 23, 2009

Hollywood Splits The Baby…

The 150th or so Academy Awards were presented last night amid the usual pompous and I-can’t-stand. I didn’t watch them, and can’t quite understand those folks who do. But then again, they can’t understand why I write a blog that no one reads, so I guess that makes us even.

Slumdog Millionaire took home Best Picture and Best Director. Good story + hot girl = box office gold. Kate Winslet won Best Actress. I haven’t seen anything she’s done since Titanic, but I understand she’s spent a lot of her time naked in subsequent movies. May have to do a Kate Winslet retrospective one of these days…

I’ll reserve judgment on Sean Penn. I absolutely loathe Penn the person, but kind of like what he does on screen – sort of sums up the way I feel about Johnny Depp. But I wasn’t surprised when I read that Penn won Best Actor, especially since everyone else thought Mickey Rourke was a shoo-in.

Penelope Cruz is a hottie in her own right, but I had no idea she was even nominated. I still think Heath Ledger’s performance in The Dark Knight was fabulously OK, and suspect that his win was influenced somehow by the talk of “this was the role that killed him.” That and enough tranquilizers to kill a horse race.

13 comments:

Mudge said...

I see that you no longer share at least one commonality with your 40 somethingish brother, CW. I'm glad you continue to distance yourself from that later model. Like the difference between the original Mustang and today's. I'd rather have the older model. Much more technically-elegant and absolutely no comparison in the "stud factor". Seriously, Happy Birthday! They say 50 is the new 40. Bull feces. Tell that to your joints and watch them work day and night to prove you wrong. Enjoy the down hill part of the ride. Like a roller coaster, it does pick up speed.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary of your date of birth.

Goldwater's Ghost said...

Thank you for your well wishes Mudge, but I'm the younger model in this analogy...

Bryan was in NC this weekend to celebrate the 50th birthday of my oldest brother, who happens to have been born exactly eight years, fifty-one weeks prior to my own birth. Irish-Catholic family you know, lots of births to keep up on...

But you're right on your preference for the older Mustang, I'd take a '67 fastback any day.

Mom & Dad - thanks!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Double G.

I apologize if my wife forgot to send you a card. Let me know, I'll straighten her out if she dropped the ball on that one.

Doc Milnamo said...

1968 Mustang Fastback in Highland Green. American Torque Thrust wheels. 390ci engine. Oh wait, that was Steve McQueen's ride in Bullitt!

Happy birthday youngest male progency of the clan.

Mudge said...

You're right. Too many birthdays too close for a whole clan of too smart fand too funny siblings. Happy birthday to all for one and one for all.

Mudge said...

fand is not a word. i should get the f out.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from the youngest of the Irish Catholic siblings!
Love,
Kelly

Goldwater's Ghost said...

Thank you all for your kind birthday wishes! I'm just bummed that it took something like my birthday to get you to respond!

Mudge said...

That's unfair GG. I also would have responded if you had been arrested for public indecency or implicated in a Ponzi scheme or having an Obama sticker on your car. I thought responding to your birthday was a much more positive occasion.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess it's your birthday so Happy Birthday! I'll buy you a few pints at the next SLACKOFFS get together - you know, that secret society we're members of:)

Art

Goldwater's Ghost said...

Arthur,

See you next week - I need to practice up on the secret handshake.

GG

Goldwater's Ghost said...

Mudge - I didn't mean you, of course. But doesn't the fact that I pay SS tax implicate me in a Ponzi scheme?

GG