Thursday, April 16, 2009

Time To Say Goodbye

In one of the best scenes in the movie Heat, Robert DeNiro tells Al Pacino: “Don’t let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.” And while the “heat” isn’t exactly on, I have come to the decision that it is time that I fold this little experiment in social and political punditry, at least temporarily.

That fact of the matter is that while initially a fun and intellectually stimulating hobby, Postcards has become a tremendous draw on my time. I find increasingly that I come home from 10 hour days of staring at a 17-inch computer monitor at an office only to trade it for another two or three hours at night and early the next morning staring at a 13-inch laptop.

Please don’t misunderstand me, it has been a labor of love, but it is a labor nonetheless. I’ve just come to the conclusion that these hours could be better spent elsewhere – exercise, for one, Mrs. Goldwater and the children for another. To use a tired cliché, I guess you could say I’m stepping down to spend more time with my family.

To all forty or so of you who have taken the time to stop by and comment over the past five months, you have my undying gratitude. Your input and comments have been truly inspiring.

But for now at least, it is time to say goodbye…

9 comments:

Doc Minamo's Ghost said...

Number 5,

You have a real talent. I have enjoyed each and every post of yours and some posts by your readers - with the exception of Doc Milnamo!

You may be suspending this blog, maybe forever but keep writing.

Number 1

Sean said...

I have mentioned to Doc many times that I really enjoyed your writings. It will be missed.

Sean

The Conservative Wahoo said...

So sorry.

Anonymous said...

I've been thrilled with each and every blog you wrote. I was not aware you had such a talent for writing, I guess it's inherrited. You can say you found a better way to spread your talents; with your family. Love from -
Dear old Dad

Anonymous said...

I hate to intrude on a family gathering, but I have to agree with everything that's been said-you're really a gifted and clever writer. I'm sorry to see you go!

Art said...

I'll see you soon.

Anonymous said...

At least the chick singing is better looking than Shrek's wife from "Britain's Got Talent"

Doc Milnamo said...

I miss you maaaaaaan!

Anonymous said...

Long time lurker, first time writer.
Well done! I was enlightened and educated by your posts. I'm sure your family will be glad to have you back, and you can now focus on keeping the kids off the front lawn.